Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Italian Quiche

New Years day became a lovely lazy event of movie watching and fine cooking with a dear friend and loved one.  We started off our day around noon with a delicious Italian inspired quiche.  I am horrible at pie crust making (unlike my mother who is a master) so I cheat and buy the frozen shells... this keeps life simple and minimizes time in the kitchen.  I've always been an immediate gratification type of girl anyway.

I turned the oven on to 400 and started prepping.  While the oven was heating up, I sauteed half a package of sliced mushrooms and about 2 cups of baby spinach with a drop of olive oil.  I threw in about 6 thin slices of panchetta that I chopped up and cooked until the fat had melted but watched so it didn't brown.  I removed that from heat and set aside assuming the oven had preheated and was ready.  I put the pie shell in the oven empty and baked it for about 8 minutes.  While that was cooking, I shredded the about a cup or so of Gruyere cheese and sliced a roma tomato.  I also beat 3 eggs with a half cup of milk and about a tablespoon and a half of flour.

Once the 8 minutes were up, I took the shell out of the oven and got to work.  I put about half the cheese in the bottom, spread the spinach, mushrooms, and panchetta over the cheese.  I then poured the egg mixture over that and sprinkled the rest of the cheese on top.  I then put the saute pan back on the stove top and heated up the tomatoes sprinkling them with olive oil and dusting them with basil, sea salt and cracked pepper.  Heat them on both sides and then top the quiche with them like you are putting pepperoni on a pizza.  Put this back in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 and bake another 15 to 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment